Press/News: (for PhD graduations, go here)
Plenary speaker "AI – Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow" at the NORDTEK conference.
Plenary speaker "Recurrent Neural Networks:Automata, Memory, and Grammars" at the International Conference on Grammatical Inference (ICGI).
A new search engine for web privacy policies: PrivaSeer.
Professor Giles receives the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society's Pioneer Award in Neural Networks.
Professor Giles gives an invited
talk "Recurrent Neural Networks: State Machines and Pushdown
Automata" at the ICML workshop Neural
Networks Back to the Future. He last gave this
presentation in 1997 at the workshop on "Adaptive Processing
of Sequences and Data Structures."
Professor Giles received the Dennis Gabor Award from
the International Neural
Network Society for achievement in
engineering/applications for his work on recurrent neural
He also presented a plenary on
"Machine Learning in Scholarly Big Data" at the IEEE
International Joint Conference on Neural Networks.
Professor Giles selected as a Penn State Teaching and Learning with Technology Fellow.
PLoSONE paper on the number of scholarly papers on the web is mentioned in several places:
- ACM News
- Penn State Research News
- Science news
- Nature news
- Then Nature news again
Institucional de la Universidad de Granada
- Google Scholar Digest
- The National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) Working Papers
- ETH Lib4RI Research Institutes Library
- LIBREAS (auf deutsch)
Professor Giles is honored to receive IST's "Senior Faculty Excellence in Research" Award.
Professor Giles was honored to
give a keynote at the ACM International Conference on
Information and Knowledge Managment (CIKM 2013) titled "Scholarly Big
Data -- Information Extraction and Data Mining." He was
also on a panel organized by Professor Jiawei Han on "Channeling the
Deluge: Research Challenges for Big Data and Information
Professor Giles advised or
coadvised two graduate students who defended their PhDs.
CiteSeerX rated 4th in the World Webmetrics repository rankings.
Professor Giles was recently was
invited to participate on the panel "BigData
Challenges & Research Directions" at the 8th IEEE
International Conference on Collaborative Computing:
Networking, Applications and Worksharing.
A Royal Society of Engineering
Fellowship allowed Professor Giles to visit the UK and give
seminars at University College London, University of
Cambridge, University of Oxford, University of Glasgow,
University of Copenhagen and the Technical University of
to Build CiteSeerX and Friends" was presented at the
2012 Lucene Revolution in Boston.
Professor Giles was privileged to
hood former graduate student and now Professor Ying Liu at
Penn State's spring graduate school commencement.
AckSeer, the only
acknowledgment indexing search engine, beta released.
Professor Giles was honored to
give an invited keynote at the IEEE
Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2011) titled "Data
Mining and Information Extraction for CiteSeerX and Friends ."
An invited presentation
"Information Extraction for STI Indicators: Creating Data from
Information" was given at the Workshop on Developing Science,
Technology and Innovation Indicators for the Future; Committee
on National Statistics; Board on Science, Technology and
Economic Policy; The National Academy of Sciences.
Professor Giles was privileged to walk and hood 2 new PhD's (Jian Huang and Shuyi Zheng) at Penn State's spring and fall graduate school commencement.
recommendation system beta released.
Professor Giles coorganizes the first workshop on Digital Disciplinary Repositories at JCDL 2011.
Professor Giles gives the commencement address (photo courtesy of James Wang) at Penn State's Graduate School Commencement Ceremony.
Professor Giles was privileged to
walk and hood 4 new PhD's (Levent Bolelli, Seyda Ertekin, Yang
Song, Qingzhao Tan) at Penn State's spring graduate
Research on automatic table and plot extraction is reported on by New Scientist.
Professor Giles selected to speak
at Penn State President Graham Spanier's New Student
Professor Giles nominated for IST Professor of the Year.
Table search engine, TableSeer, announced.
Recent Ph.D. graduates:
- Athar Sefid defends her dissertation, October 21, 2021.
- Kaixuan Zhang defends his dissertation, June 1, 2021.
Kim defends his dissertation, May 30, 2019.
He defends his dissertation, April 19, 2019.
Ororbia defends his dissertation, June 15, 2018.
- Chen Liang defends his dissertation, May 17, 2018.
- Shuting Wang defends her dissertation, June 5, 2017.
Ray Choudhury defends his dissertation, May 19, 2017.
Al-Zaidy defends her dissertation, May 4, 2017
Huang defends his dissertation, June 8, 2016.
Williams defends his dissertation, June 6, 2016.
- Zhaohui Wu defends his dissertation, March 3, 2016.
Khabsa defends his dissertation, June 4, 2015.
- Suppawong Tuarob defends his dissertation, October 8, 2014.
- Hung-Hsuan Chen defends his dissertation, October 18, 2013.
- Sujatha Das Gollapalli defends her dissertation, May 21, 2013.
- Pradeep Teregowda defends his dissertation, August 31, 2012.
- Pucktada Treeratpituk defends his dissertation, April 27, 2012.
- Madian Khabsa defends his MS thesis, April 16, 2012.
- Shuyi Zheng defends his dissertation, April 11, 2011.
- Jian Huang defends his dissertation, February 25, 2010.
- Ying Liu defends her dissertation, August 21, 2009.
- Seyda Ertekin defends her dissertation, March 26, 2009.
- Ziming Zhuang defends his dissertation, March 3, 2009.
- Yuan Fang defends her MS thesis, 2009.
- Yang Song defends his dissertation, October 17, 2008.
- Qingzhao Tan defends her dissertation, October 6, 2008.
- Bingun Sun defends his dissertation, September 24, 2008.
- Xiaonan Lu defends her dissertation, August 27, 2008.
- Yang Sun defends his dissertation, August 25, 2008.
- Denise Nemenz Chillcott defends her ME, 2008.
- Ding Zhou defends his dissertation, December 10, 2007.
- Levent Bolelli defends his dissertation, July 6, 2007.
- Issac Councill defends his dissertation, August 30, 2006.
- Sandip Debnath defends his dissertation, August 22, 2005.
- Vivek Bhatnagar defends his MS thesis, 2005.
- Seung-Taek Park defends his dissertation, August 27, 2004.
- Yves Petinot defends his MS thesis, 2004.
- Hui Han defends her dissertation, August 17, 2004.
- Secil Ugurel defends her MS thesis, 2001.
- Yashmeet Khopkar defends his MS thesis, 2001.
- Prital Shah defends her MS thesis, 2001.