Phone: (814) 865-7884
clg20 there psu dot edu
About Dr. Giles
Dr. C. Lee Giles is the David Reese Professor at the College of Information Sciences and Technology at the Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA. He is also Professor of Computer Science and Engineering, Professor of Supply Chain and Information Systems, and Director of the Intelligent Systems Research Laboratory. He directs the CiteSeerx project and codirected the ChemxSeer project at Penn State. He has been associated with Columbia University, the University of Maryland, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, the University of Pisa and the University of Trento. more . . .
Affiliations (all at the Pennsylvania State University unless otherwise indicated):
- Director, The Intelligent Information Systems Research Laboratory.
- Professor, Graduate Faculty, Computer Science and Engineering.
- Professor, Courtesy Appointment, Supply Chain and Information Systems.
- Advisory Board, Databrary
- Leadership Committee, Penn State Center for Health Organization Transformation (CHOT)
- Big Data Social Science
- Advisory Committee, arXiv Computing Research Repository CoRR
- Google Scholar
Selected Recent Publications
Selected recent work 2009-present (please see publications
- Zeba Karishma, Shaurya Rohatgi, Kavya Shrinivas Puranik, Jian Wu, C. Lee Giles, "ACL-Fig: A Dataset for Scientific Figure Classification," Scientific Document Understanding Workshop at 35th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (SDU@AAAI). 2023.
- Alexander Ororbia, Ankur Arjun Mali, C. Lee Giles, Daniel Kifer, "Lifelong Neural Predictive Coding: Learning Cumulatively Online without Forgetting," 36th NeurIPS, 2022.
- Sarah Michele Rajtmajer, Christopher Griffin, Jian Wu, Robert
Fraleigh, Laxmaan Balaji, Anna Cinzia Squicciarini, Anthony Kwasnica,
David M. Pennock, Michael McLaughlin, Timothy Fritton, Nishanth
Nakshatri, Arjun Manoj Menon, Sai Ajay Modukuri, Rajal Nivargi, Xin Wei,
C. Lee Giles, "A Synthetic Prediction Market for Estimating Confidence in Published Work," AAAI 2022: 13218-13220, 2022
- A Mali, A Ororbia, D Kifer, CL Giles, "Recognizing and Verifying Mathematical Equations using Multiplicative Differential Neural Units," 35th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2021.
- Mali, Ankur Arjun, Alexander G. Ororbia II, C. Lee Giles, "A Neural State Pushdown Automata," IEEE Transactions on Artificial Intelligence, 2021.
- Kaixuan Zhang, Qinglong Wang, Xue Liu, C. Lee Giles, "Shapley Homology: Topological Analysis of Sample Influence for Neural Networks," Neural Computation, 32(7): 1355-1378, 2020.
- Qinglong Wang, Kaixuan Zhang, Xue Liu, C. Lee Giles, "Verification
of Recurrent Neural Networks Through Rule Extraction,"
AAAI Spring Symposium Series Verification of
Neural Networks, 2019.
- Alexander G. Ororbia, Ankur Mali, Jian Wu, Scott
O'Connell, William Dreese, David Miller, C. Lee Giles, "Learned
Neural Iterative Decoding for Lossy Image Compression
Systems," Data Compression Conference (DCC 2019),
- Qinglong Wang, Kaixuan Zhang, Alexander G. Ororbia II,
Xinyu Xing, Xue Liu, C. Lee Giles, "An
Empirical Evaluation of Recurrent Neural Network Rule
Extraction," Neural Computation, 30(9), 2018.
- Qinglong Wang, Wenbo Guo, Kaixuan Zhang, Alexander G.
Ororbia II, Xinyu Xing, Xue Liu, C. Lee Giles,
"Adversary Resistant Deep Neural Networks with an Application to Malware Detection," Proceedings of the 23rd ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD 2017), 1145-1153, 2017.
- Alexander G. Ororbia II, C. Lee Giles, Daniel Kifer, "Unifying
Adversarial Training Algorithms with Flexible Deep Data
Gradient Regularization," Neural Computation,
29(4), 867-887, 2017.
- Xiao Yang, Dafang He, Zihan Zhou, Daniel Kifer, C. Lee
to Read Irregular Text with Attention Mechanisms," Proceedings
of the Twenty-Sixth International Joint Conference on
Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2017), 3280-3286,
- Alexander G. Ororbia II, C. Lee Giles, and David Reitter.
a deep hybrid model for semi-supervised text
classification," Proceedings of the 2015
Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language
Processing (EMNLP), Lisbon, Portugal, 2015.
- Madian Khabsa, C. Lee Giles, "Chemical entity extraction using CRF and an ensemble of extractors," J. Cheminformatics, 7(S-1): S12 (2015).
- Jian Wu, Kyle Williams, Hung-Hsuan Chen, Madian Khabsa,
Cornelia Caragea, Alexander Ororbia, Douglas Jordan, C. Lee Giles, "CiteSeerX:
AI in a Digital Library Search Engine,"
Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Proceedings of the
Twenty-Eighth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence
(AAAI 2014), 2930-2937, 2014.
- Madian Khabsa, C. Lee Giles, "The
Number of Scholarly Documents on the Public Web,"
PLoSONE, May, 2014.
- William J. Brouwer, James D. Kubicki, Jorge O. Sofo, C.
Lee Giles, "An
Investigation of Machine Learning Methods Applied to
Structure Prediction in Condensed Matter,"
arXiv:1405.3564, May, 2014.
- Hung-Hsuan Chen, David J. Miller, C. Lee Giles, "The predictive value of young and old links in a social network," Proceedings of the 3rd ACM SIGMOD Workshop on Databases and Social Networks (DBSocial 2013), 43-48, 2013.
- Zhaohui Wu, Zhenhui Li, Prasenjit Mitra, C. Lee Giles, "Can back-of-the-book indexes be
automatically created?," 22nd ACM International Conference on Information
and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2013), 1745-1750,
- Zhaohui Wu, C. Lee Giles, "Measuring
Informativeness in Context," Human Language Technologies: Conference of the
North American Chapter of the Association of Computational
Linguistics (HLT-NAACL), 259-269, 2013.
- Zhaohui Wu, Sujatha Das, Zhenhui Li, Prasenjit Mitra, C.
Lee Giles, "Searching
book documents and analyzing book citations," ACM Symposium on Document
Engineering (DocEng '13), 81-90, 2013.
- Kyle Williams, C. Lee Giles, "Near duplicate detection in an academic digital library," ACM Symposium on Document Engineering (DocEng '13), 91-94, 2013.
- Pucktada Treeratpituk, C. Lee Giles, "Name-Ethnicity Classification and Ethnicity-Sensitive Name Matching," Proceedings of the Twenty-Sixth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2012), 1141-1147, 2012.
- Madian Khabsa, Stephen Carman, Sagnik Ray Choudhury, C. Lee Giles, "A Framework for Bridging the Gap Between Open Source Search Tools," SIGIR 2012 Workshop onOpen Source Information Retrieval (OSIR 2012), 2012.
- Hung-Hsuan Chen, Liang Gou, Xiaolong (Luke) Zhang, C. Lee
links in networks using vertex similarity measures," Proceedings of the ACM
Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2012), 138-143,
- Saurabh Kataria, Prasenjit Mitra, Cornelia Caragea, C. Lee Giles, "Context Sensitive Topic Models for Author Influence in Document Networks," International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2011), 2274-2280, 2011.
- Pucktada Treeratpituk, Pradeep Teregowda, Jian Huang, C. Lee Giles, "SEERLAB: A System for Extracting Keyphrases from Scholarly Documents," Proceedings of the 5th International ACL Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval 2010), 182-185, 2010.
- Jian Huang, Pucktada Treeratpituk, Sarah Taylor, C. Lee Giles, "Enhancing Cross Document Coreference of Web Documents with Context Similarity and Very Large Scale Text Categorization," The 23rd International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING 2010), 483-491, 2010.
- P.B Teregowda, B.
Urgaonkar, C.L. Giles, "Cost
Of Moving To The Cloud: A Digital Libraries Perspective,"
2nd USENIX Workshop on
Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud '10),
- P.B. Teregowda, I.G. Councill, J.P FernÃ¡ndez R., M. Kasbha, S. Zheng, C.L. Giles, "SeerSuite: Developing a Scalable and Reliable Application Framework for Building Digital Libraries by Crawling the Web," 1st USENIX Conference on Web Application Development, 2010.
- Pucktada Treeratpituk, C. Lee Giles, "Disambiguating authors in academic publications using random forests," ACM/IEEE Joint International Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2009), 39-48, 2009.
- Jian Huang, Sarah M. Taylor, Jonathan L. Smith,
Konstantinos A. Fotiadis, C. Lee Giles, "Solving
the "Who's Mark Johnson" Puzzle: Information Extraction
Based Cross Document Coreference," Proceedings of North American
Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics -
Human Language Technologies 2009 Conference (NAACL-HLT
2009), student research workshop (SRW), 7-12, 2009.
- A. Rangaswamy, C.L. Giles, S. Seres, "A
Strategic Perspective on Search Engines: Thought Candies
for Practitioners and Researchers," Journal of Interactive
Marketing, (1), 49-60, 2009.
- more . . .